Hi. I’m Lauren. And I’m a mom.
I’m also a wife, a health care reporter and the editor of this weekly Health section. I have a toddler — a two-year-old daughter named June — and I just fed her canned peas and pineapple for breakfast. (That’s what she asked for! Why argue?)
For a while now, I’ve been toying with the idea of starting a parenting column here at The Post and Courier. Not because I have any unique advice to impart — I assure you, I don’t — but because we don’t run a lot of local content in this section geared toward parents.
Also, over the past few years, I’ve developed something of a reputation around the newsroom for writing really sad stories about kids — infants who die, foster children who are abused and neglected, adoptive parents who are targeted by scammers with fake babies.
Did you happen to read Sunday’s paper? I profiled a doctor at the Medical University of South Carolina who specializes in end-of-life care for children. Read it, please — but with tissues.
Anyway, maybe this new column is my way of turning the page. Or at least trying something new.
For now, we’ll run a new parenting post every other Monday in this section. You can also find it online. I’m going to tag-team writing the column with a colleague of mine named Paul Bowers. He covers education here at The Post and Courier and is a father of three. In theory, he’ll have three times as many good ideas to write about as I do.
Meanwhile, when it comes to parenting, there’s so much to talk about, but too much fluff out there.
A smattering of recent parenting posts from my Facebook feed:
- “Amazon Prime Now Delivers Wine In An Hour – What A Time To Be Alive”
- “This Color Test Will Predict How Many Kids You’ll Have”
- “Scary Mommy Editor Picks: Our Favorite Cyber Monday Deals”
Latest posts by Mayra Rodriguez (see all)
- Nervous Child Freezes Up During Talent Show. Crowd Hears Second Voice And Sees Mom Appear - June 23, 2018
- Kristen Bell Shares The Genius Way She And Husband Dax Shepard Stop Their Kids From Cursing - June 23, 2018
- The Family Weekly: The Complexities of Parenting Kids Who Say They’re Trans - June 23, 2018