Did you hear? The U.S. Women’s National Team is embarking on a 10-game tour in 2019 leading up to the FIFA Women’s World Cup in France next summer!
Below are what you must know about the Countdown to the Cup.
2019 Schedule Facts
- Six of the USA’s nine confirmed pre-World Cup opponents in 2019 are in the top 12 of the current FIFA Women’s World Rankings.
- The USA also began its 2015 schedule with a road game against France, falling 2-0 in Lorient on artificial turf. It was a result the USA avenged just a month later in the 2015 Algarve Cup in Portugal, defeating France 2-0. Heading into the WNT’s 34th year of competition, this will mark the 25th time the U.S. has started the year against a European nation.
- The USA is set to play teams from five Confederations: Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Concacaf.
- The eight domestic venues will take the U.S. team to the home areas of numerous current players.
- USA vs. France: France will be the 23rd all-time between the teams and first since a 1-1 draw in March during the 2018 SheBelieves Cup. It would be just the fourth meeting between the teams in France.
- USA vs. Spain: The match between and the USA and Spain will mark the 53rd country the USA has played in its history. Spain will also be the 26th country in which the U.S. Women have played a match. Spain, ranked 12th in the world, is one of several up-and-coming European nations. Spain earned its World Cup berth by cruising to a first-place finish in UEFA Women’s World Cup Qualifying Group 7, going 8-0-0 while out-scoring its opponents 25-2. Austria finished second, followed by Finland, Serbia and Israel.
- 2019 SheBelieves Cup: France and Germany are staying in Europe to prepare for the World Cup, and with the Tournament of Nations not being held in World Cup or Olympic years, Brazil and Japan will join England in this year’s SheBelieves Cup. Brazil and Japan participated in both the 2017 and 2018 ToN.
- vs. Japan:The USA and Japan have played some of the most historic matches in women’s soccer history. The countries have met four times since the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Final with the USA going 3-0-1 in the games. The most recent meeting was a 4-2 victory last summer at the 2018 Tournament of Nations.
- vs. England:Since 2015, the USA and England have played four consecutive one-goal games with the USA winning three of them 1-0 and losing the other 1-0. The most recent was the USA’s 1-0 win at the 2018…
Latest posts by Mayra Rodriguez (see all)
- The Legendary Anti-Vaccine 13th Episode of ‘The Brady Bunch’ Is Real, Hilarious - April 29, 2019
- Why zero screen time for babies makes sense | Parenting With Pete - April 29, 2019
- Cepeda: Why boys need to get meaningful sex education — finally - April 29, 2019